Porcelain reticulated incense burner

Started by Stan, Apr 11, 2015, 10:05:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I picked this up at an estate sale, I thought it was Chinese when I bought it, when I was taking pictures to send to you, I saw the faint remnant of a mark, I'm not what it says, maybe you can help if there is enough left to read, it looks like there is 4 marks and they are unmistakably Japanese, the top looks like a honeycomb and the carving is top notch, I hope you can tell me something about it, I will post 6 photo's, thanks for viewing.

Stan

Here is the last set of photo's to view, thanks for your help.

peterp

It says "????????(Satsuma, made by ???, whereas the name reads likely Teruyama, if it is the family name).

Stan

Hi Peter, thank you for the name, I did some research and could not find anything on the name Teruyama, However I thumbed through my books and I found only one item that had this reticulated honeycomb pattern, it was Kyoto Satsuma, late 19th century, thanks again.

peterp

Try "Kizan", same characters different reading. Not sure if it is a family or place name. In Japanese there are many names which can be either, but in this case the former reading could be either, but the latter is more likely a place name. If it is the latter, it could be a shop.