Pair of republic vases

Started by Stan, Feb 20, 2015, 05:48:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, these were made into lamps at one time, I had a professional repair done to fill the hole, but the restorer misunderstood me when I said it is important to leave the double blue rings alone and to keep the repair inside the reings, well you can see that he did exactly what I told him, he painted the enamel right up to the blue ring, these vases are 40.65 cm tall and they do have nice age marks, I think the colors would put it in the 1930s or 40s, unless you say otherwise all the colors are transparent without any other repairs, i will included 16 photo's to view, please let me know what you think, they are very nicely painted and hand drawn, thanks.

Stan

Here are more photo's to view.

Stan

Stan

Here is the last set of photo's to view, thanks again.

peterp

Hi Stan,
I can not help much with this. First I think that this must be newer, ate least second half of 20th century, if Chinese. But...I'm not even sure that it IS Chinese. I have doubts about this for several reasons. The light green base color and bottom are the only things I can associate with the period you mention. The background and floral decoration has some resemblance to a prunus decoration on ice, but the colors make it something completely difference.
What I find most disconcerting is the 'pavilion'. This is not a Chinese way of painting these. The shape of the eaves, their curves, and the upper floor walls or pillars have a strange configuration. I only know such 'forms' from non-Chinese decorations. Personally I would assume it is from the more recent decades, if it were Chinese, or some re-painting was going on; but it could be Japanese, if it were not from the foot rim, which I do not know if it could be Japanese. In the latter case age would be possible as you mention it, as the Japanese seem to have copied some Chinese  people decorations (in the 40s) to a degree that they are almost indistinguishable from Chinese ones.
I see that you also have thoughts about this, as you did not post it directly to the Chinese ceramics discussion...

Stan

The colors are slightly darker than the photo's but not much, and you are right, I have not seen such a colorful design except in the Japanese porcelain by fukagawa, another thing that I thought strange, the man the repaired them said that he had a hard time matching the white ground because it has an almost unnoticeable green color to the white ground, I thought that was strange if it was Chinese because it has a little bit a blue in the white,but then I have never seen a foot rim or the double blue circle on Japanese porcelain, the vases have more age signs than this Kutani vase which is about 120 years old it has a very similar shape  at the top, and I do not think the Japanese did a meiping shape unless they were copying the Chinese like you said, this is a real puzzle, I know that they are old and they have that nice old feel that you get from antique porcelain, they do not appear to have had anything added I think they were made this way, thanks peter, for you insight.

Stan

Sorry I forgot to post the Kutani vase, here it is.