Early Chinese vase

Started by Stan, Mar 05, 2014, 05:16:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, and anyone else that could shed some light on this vase, the hight is 13-1/2" and the width is 9-1/2 it is a very heavy potted vase and has age signs, it has blood red iron enameled design with a iron red leaf mark, at the bottom the foot has a nice flair to it, and the glaze has large air bubbles, that I am unfamiliar with,I am not sure of the age, it looks older to me than late Qing and could you help with the mark, thanks from Stan.

Stan

Stan

Stan

another photo, sorry be patient with me while I'm still learning how to make smaller images thanks.

peterp

Difficult to evaluate the hue of the white glaze due to the sun light.
If the glaze is pure white, as these images seem to indicate, then it could be late Qing or later.
Before that the glaze had always some other color hue.
I also doubt that the red leaf mark is a period Kangxi mark.

Further, the decoration along the top rim (neck) is also indicative of the late Qing dynasty, or even early republic. You can see that the whirl decoration is connected to form pairs of whirls. That would be right for the Ming dynasty, but this cannot be Ming. And, in the Qing dynasty whirls of this type of decoration where all connected to an endless string. As far as I know pairs of whirls are only found on items of the 'late' Qing dynasty (Guangxu), and only if the color of each whirl pair along the rim is different.

Due to above circumstances I would think this to be late Qing dynasty at the most.

Peter

Stan

Hi Peter, there is a slight blue hue to the white areas, it is not pure white, and could you explain what you mean about the whirl decoration, also the bubbles in the white glaze, under a 10x loop they are about three times the size of the bubbles that I have seen on late Qing and early republic porcelain have you seen that before? is it possible that vase could be older and the decoration added at a later time.

peterp

Hi Stan,
I don't know the name of that decoration in English. It is just the top decoration band that looks like square whirls, somewhat reminiscent of the Chinese character "?". I wish I could see the vase in person, to make sure. With onglaze decorations there is always a possibility that the porcelain body and onglaze decoration are from a different periods. But the overall age of the item is considered to be the time of last work done on it.  What you should have is bubbles of different sizes, but theoretically it is possible to reproduce the bubbles artificially, so we cannot entirely rely on that for age identification.

Peter

Stan

Thank you Peter, your insight is always appreciated.