Chinese storage jar. Southern china

Started by Allan, Mar 25, 2015, 08:34:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

Hi peter am i correct this is. A southern chinese storage. Jar.  18th century  The footing  and glaze appears to be correct for the time period

I love your opponion

Thanks

Allan

Pic of bottom of jar looks correct for 18th cemtury ???

peterp

Could you provide a closeup shot of the neck? Partial is fine, but the details should be clearly visible.

Allan

Here are more pictures as requested peter.

Thanks

Stan

By the looks of these, they are either new reproductions or old jar that have been reglazed, the shine is much to glossy to be 18th century and notice in the crevasses it is free from dirt that would normally would have been caked in from long periods of time, Chinese antique Porcelain is judged from the last time they were modified or if a decoration or reglazed, it would be considered from the time it would have been reglazed or redecorated and not from the time it was actually made.

Allan

Is  comon practice. Of reglazing. Pieces?

Stan

Jars like this were made in large quantities and a lot of them were left unglazed or not decorated and to make them more sellable they would reglaze or add decoration thinking to make them more valuable, and yes there is a lot of them out there.

peterp

Hi, I completely agree with Stan. No, re-glazing is not a normal practice.
The reason for requesting an enlarged view if the neck is just the verification that it was glazed.
During most of the Qing dynasty the whole jar was glazed, and then the glaze was removed from neck and shoulder before firing. This one looks as if it had the glaze removed , and then re-applied. Not sure what this means in this case, other than that it is not from the period. In view to quality this is rather a low end jar, so I have doubts that faking is involved. It is rather puzzling why someone would have made the jar this way. There is also a possibility that this was not made in China at all, perhaps in Vietnam or such a place, but not sure.
The line around the shoulder looks rough as if there is no glaze. Something must have adhered there, that is unusual too.