blue and white lidded jar

Started by Stan, Feb 22, 2014, 06:10:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I do not know if this would be considered a tea jar, the opening is small, the jar is 12.7cm tall and 9.52 wide the opening at the top is 2.56 wide. I tried to find the mark and I could not, I just bought this from an old lady that sold me her collection, she said that she had been collecting all her life and this is one of those items, this inside of the jar has all the cracks and old dirt that can not be washed out, I can tell it is old but I do not know how old she said she thought it was 18th century. Here are some photos.

Stan

Here are the last of the photo's, thank you peter for your evaluation.

Stan

I just found the mark, it is a kangxi mark, but all the 6 character kangxi marks that I have seen are written vertical and not horizontal like this, have you seen marks written this way before?

peterp

The mark is all right, Stan. It is the same, read top down from right to left. Yes, there are period marks like this. But I have some doubts that this is mark and period. The characters are written a bit erratically, compared with period marks. Maybe mid-Qing dynasty or later.

Stan

Thanks Peter, I thought the same thing, thank you for confirming that.