Large Brush Pot

Started by Stan, Dec 03, 2014, 03:37:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

It was a while back, I had a flamb? vase the an appraiser from bonhams appraised, he told me about the glaze at the bottom that was sloppy and that the old ones are not like that, I can't remember to be honest where I heard that but I must have heard from someone, but anyway I have been corrected and that is not so, sorry for the wrong info.

Stan

Hi kardinalisimo, the later pieces do not have the pitting that you see in the earlier, however the pitting can be faked and your right the pitting happens when fired in the kiln, the later kiln not including Imperial kilns have perfected the porcelain so most imperfections have been perfected, the flamb? vase that I have and had a Bonhams expert look at said that he could tell that my vase was later because of the finish, no pitting and the bottom you could see where the drip glaze dripped onto the kiln and when removed that had to break it off, the appraiser said they would have never been that sloppy and that they had it down to a science, not like today back then quality was demanded.