Guangxu vase?

Started by Stan, May 02, 2014, 12:13:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter I bought this at an antique shop, I am not sure of age, but it has some age in side the vase it has cracks and pin hole size spots and some rust spots, but my concern is the handles, they seem to be modern looking to me and there is holes at the tops of the hands, but other than that the quality is first class, the decoration and especially the bat, looks like guangxu period, please let me know what you think, thanks; Stan.

Stan

here is more photos, I will send another set.

Stan

Here is more photos, I will send another set.

Stan

Here is more photos, I will send on more set. thanks.

Stan

peterp

Hi Stan,
Well, the mark is apocryphal, and as you already know, such handles are not used on antique Chinese wares. I would advise to avoid any Chinese porcelain in the shape of a gourd that has an attachment representing a string or cloth (in porcelain). The light blue color is probably also a bit doubtful with antiques.

Stan

Stan

Hi Peter, I would like to add that I only paid a little over a $100.00, for this vase, I could not resist as to the quality of the hand painting, the mark is hand painted as well, do you think it could be from the 40's to 50's?

peterp

I doubt it. In my view this type of non-traditional creativity might be from a later time. But, on the other hand, I do not know that much regarding later Chinese porcelain.

Stan

The holes at the top of the hadles have air holes at the top inside of the handle, I know that the hole is so air can escape when fired in the kiln, is there a specific time that they started doing that or is that something that has been use for centuries, do you know or is it a recent technology.

peterp

The holes? They are a basic requirement for large or hollow items. If there is no hole the item will  burst during firing. So, this has alwasy been here since such items were made, it is nothing related to era. With figurines, etc. the hole is often concealed in the mouth or other parts, but it must be there.

Stan

Thanks again Peter for the information.