Unmarked chinese bowl

Started by marian888, Mar 31, 2016, 02:29:52

Previous topic - Next topic

marian888

Stan, please help with dating this unmarked bowl.  I bought this bowl at an estate sale.  The bowl is 11 1/8" in diameter and 5" in height.

Thank you for your help.

Maria

Stan

Hi Marian, could you take some close up pictures of the buildings and the people also a close up of the detail of the decorative band inside the bowl.

marian888

Here are additional pictures.  Thank you for your help.

Maria

so sorry for the upside down pictures. 

Stan

Thanks for the additional pictures, I think this is high fired Seto ware, Meiji period.

marian888

Thank you Stan.  It's Japanese and not Chinese.

Maria

peterp

Why are all pictures upside down?
Please provide full side view of decoration, not just small bits.

marian888

So sorry, Peter.  My husband and I cannot figure it out why all the pictures are upside down.  I will add more side pictures.

Maria

marian888

here are 2 more side pictures.

maria

marian888

2 more.

maria

peterp

Thanks for the additional pictures.
Not likely Chinese, indeed, at least the painting style and the sails of the boats look a bit different, although the people in them are painted in Chinese style.

Stan

Hi Peter, I have seen Japanese copy the Chinese decoration, in this style before, but this is the first time I have seen them copy the Kangxi decoration, inside the bottom of the bowl, the trees looks like Kangxi, but the scalloped bowl and the buildings look Japanese.

peterp

So are the mountains, Stan. At first I got the impression that it looks like the Chinese willow pattern.

Stan

Your right Peter, it does look like a blue willow pattern, this reminds me of a discussion that we had in the past where you explained the difference in roof styles between Japanese and Chinese roofs, now that I know the difference, it is just another way of clearly telling the two apart, this bowl has a lot of Chinese influence but is clearly Japanese.

marian888

Thank you so much Peter and Stan.  You have enlightened me on this bowl.  My first impression when I bought this bowl was Chinese never thought that it could be Japanese. 

Maria