Small Ming Bowl.

Started by Stan, Apr 03, 2015, 03:24:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I just bought this a local auction, It looks very old and has a nice feel to it, do you think it could be Ming, there is a couple of things, the bottom foot looks like it was glazed and the glaze on the vase is very thick and makes the underglaze blue look lighter than it is, you can see ware the blue is darker, and it has surface ware and rust spots in the glaze, also it looks like it might have been fired on sand in the kiln, thanks for your help.

Stan

Here is the last set of Photo's to view. thanks.

peterp

I have no idea what this is. The first that came to my mind was if it could be Korean?
Shape, top rim and foot rim are all not typical Chinese. Was it sold as "Chinese"?

Stan

It was sold with two other blue and white pieces and yes they said three Chinese blue and white porcelain pieces, they did not give dates, I thought the same thing at first, Korean they did these bulbus jars but the tops are different, thats why I thought maybe Ming.

peterp

I would also look into the possibility of Vietnamese porcelain. Many Chinese kiln works seem to have emigrated to Vietnam during the Ming dynasty. For that reason, Vietnamese porcelain decorations of that period sometimes resemble Chinese ones.
Not sure at all, but I think I never saw such a shape before in Chinese porcelain.

Stan

Thanks Peter, I will see if I can find anything That point to Korean or Vietnamese porcelain.

Stan

Hi Peter, I found similar bowls on Christies with subtle differences but unmistakably Korean, looks like it is from the Joseon dynasty 19th century, if authentic, thank for your help.

peterp

Thanks for the confirmation, Stan. I occasionally see Korean porcelain when I view items on the Japanese internet, hence the impression that it looks Korean.