18th or 19th century yongzheng doucai jar?

Started by antiqueassassin374, Dec 21, 2014, 06:52:43

Previous topic - Next topic

antiqueassassin374

I recently picked this yongzheng doucai jar at an estate sale here in yakima washington for $10. Even though I know absolutely nothing about chinese ceramics, for $10 I decided it was to beautiful to not take home & display in our hutch. After doing a little research on my own I have gotten a couple of opinions, but not really the response I was looking for. So if anyone out there can inform me if this is 18th or 19th century doucai jar & would it be worth contacting a curator at a respected northwest museum to have it officially authenticated would be greatly appreciated. Enclosed in the post are some pictures of the doucai jar.

Thanks!

antiqueassassin374

Here are the pictures of the doucai jar!

kardinalisimo

The glazed neck points out that this is not Early Qing. Wait for Peter for more detailed opinion but you may want to upload better resolution pictures.

antiqueassassin374

For some reason it will only let me send a smaller format, send me your email & I'll send you some bigger pictures.

peterp

Doucai at $10? After so many years I have never seen a genuine doucai item made in imperial China. They were already few and expensive when they were made, originally.
The foot rim of this one looks like a 20th century or later product. Larger images would be required to check more.

peterp

With nine different photographs merged in one image it is unavoidable that everything is too small. Individual pictures should be about 100kb or a bit more, that would be sufficient with the right resolution. Three to four pictures will usually do.

antiqueassassin374

antiqueassassin374

antiqueassassin374

antiqueassassin374

peterp

Thanks for the additional pictures. Looks really like a 20th century (or later) copy. It should be mentioned that the original doucai was top quality porcelain or imperial porcelain. As such, a sloppy painted decoration as it is shown on the shoulder of this item would be quite impossible.
Apart from the above the base and characters of the mark would not conform to the Yongzheng reign either. Looks really like a 20th century (or later) copy.

Stan

Not to mention the absence of ware or age signs and the new look, this could only be late 20th century, in my view.

antiqueassassin374

That's too bad, because I've been informed by three other gentlemen that claim to be experts on chinese ceramics that if its wasn't 18th century doucai, it was surely a 19th century piece. Guess my $10 purchase was a bust! I'm going to have to drop it from a second story window! Thanks for your professional expertise gentlemen.

Stan

It is still worth what someone is willing to pay for a nice decorative item, I think you got a good deal for $10.00 it looks like it is all hand painted, I personally think it is worth more than what you paid, its just not old, in my view.

kardinalisimo

Why don't you go back and ask the gentlemen why do the think the jar is 18th or 19th century? When you put an age on something you should always have arguments. In this case they should tell you what are theirs. Like foot rim, age signs, quality of the decoration, pigments used etc. Sometimes you have to trust your guts but if these people were experts in Chinese porcelain they cannot throw their professional opinion just like that.
By the way, I would buy it for $10 as well.