Antique (?) Chinese Porcelain-looking Vase (now a lamp!)--Real or Fake?

Started by Carol L., Dec 19, 2014, 04:29:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Carol L.

Thank you for your advice!  Here is a last photo that shows one more odd thing about this vase/lamp:  there appears to be a horizontal line (seam?) near the top third section.  It is more obvious when the light is turned on.  I then found this photo of the interior which shows it a bit on the right side.

peterp

If you have read about the fact that most items like jars, vases, etc. were made in two parts (or more, depending on size), then you might think this could be the seam were the parts were fit together. Actually, when doing a hands-on inspection we look for this, but mainly with earlier items.
The seam became less conspicuous later in the Qing dynasty as it by then was removed before firing. Towards the end of the Qing dynasty and later in the 20th century, most items were thrown on the wheel in one piece.
So, if that line should represent the seam, I have serious doubts. We know that some fake antiques have now added an artificial seam line, even if they were thrown in one piece. Further, I do not think there should be an incision even if it were authentic. The line where the upper and lower parts were fit together does not look this way, usually, if it is visible.
There are just too many questions with this item, for my taste.

Carol L.

Thank you, Stan & Peter.  I appreciate your expert opinion on my little lamp. I've learned a lot (and your website is very helpful).  It's a risky business to buy something you know nothing about, but thankfully there are people like you in the world willing to share your knowledge with the rest of us!