Swatow hand painted Ceramic vase

Started by calder, Nov 03, 2014, 21:48:33

Previous topic - Next topic

calder

Bought  a pair of vases not advertised as Chinese but looked to me to be very similar to Swato ware.
What are peoples thoughts on the vase converted to lamps.

Stan

Hi Calder, I think they were trying to copy The Wucai style decoration but the crackle would be much later providing that it is Chinese, looks like a fake by the looks of bottom.

peterp

This is a very easy to detect, modern fake. The foot rim and base are not right at all.

There is a page on the website mentioning why the name "Swatow" is not appropriate. They should be called Zhangzhou wares. See www.chinese-antique-porcelain.com/swatow-wares.html
I would suggest to look at museum websites with the Zhangzhou wares, to get a feel for their decoration. Mostly they are relatively crude porcelain from the Ming dynasty.

Stan

Hi Peter, it will not load in my browser and when I manually type it in it says there is no such page.

peterp

You must have some error in the address. It is definitely there. If you copy the link, be careful not to cut off the last "l" (of html).  htm will not do.

Stan

I Peter, I do not know what Im doing wrong but all three times it goes to your web page but it says that no such url is at this domain.

Stan

Thanks Peter, I was typing  it in wrong.

Stan

That is good reading Peter, I sure would like to get my hands on some real Zhangzhou porcelain, I like really like it and have never came across any.

peterp

It is easier to find dishes than plates. The majority of the red green bowls and plates was exported to Japan (and perhaps some to SE Asia). If it is B/W Kraak style wares, it is easier, as that was exported in large quantities to Europe.
But careful, both the red green and B/W wares were copied in Japan until at least the 19th century.

Stan

calder