more pics of the famille rose Chinese Mug

Started by david, Oct 09, 2014, 23:00:40

Previous topic - Next topic

david

Here are more pics of the Chinese Mug, it took me awhile to figure out how to shrink them.....thanks a bunch.

Stan

Same goes for this cup as for the vase you posted, pictures of the bottom, top rim and any age spots is necessary for proper inspection for age.

peterp

The painting and colors are nothing traditional Chinese. If it is of Chinese origin, it would have to be very recent.
The bottom might provide a hint, but sometimes it does not.

Stan

I agree Peter, these are recently made and could be made anywhere.

david

I was online (ebay) and saw a "Chinese Mandarin export Pallette Mug" that reminded me of this mug.  Similar painting technique, floral, bottom, handle etc.  Is it related?

peterp

Yes, similar thing. Not clear where it was made. When something is old but has no Chinese painting elements or other characteristics at all, it "could" theoretically be an item copied in China (or made to order), but it can as well be something made elsewhere. There is no way to know for sure... If you are looking for Chinese items, better look for a specialized dealer in Chinese porcelain. They know more about the real Chinese antiques, but are also not perfect.

david

Thank you Peter, I really appreciate and respect your opinion.  I bought this mug at my favorite charity shop and it had a $125.00 old price tag on it, so I know it has some importance.  It came from a porcelain collectors estate in St. Pete. Fl.  I also bought the Rooster foot mug at the same time, and I presume that they came from the same estate.  I'll be very interested to hear about your opinion on the Rooster Foot mug..... thanks again, David

Stan

The foot and shape is modern as well as the handle, and they are copying the old canton blue pattern with a flair of Imari decoration, if this was authentic Japanese, not being marked it could date 1868 or earlier, the same if it was Chinese, but as Peter pointed out the decoration is not traditional Chinese or Japanese, Newer items are generally marked, I think that this is a fake made to deceive, a modern coffee cup.