Shen de Tang is the "Hall of Prudent Virtue"

Started by calder, Sep 27, 2014, 18:01:36

Previous topic - Next topic

calder

Small bowl anyone give me any more info?
Cheers

Stan

Shen de tang zhi.  Hall for the Cultivation of Virtue - located in the Old summer Palace or Yuanmingyuan or ' Garden of perfect Brightness' originally known as just the 'imperial Gardens', it is a complex of palaces and gardens just to the northwest of the ' Forbidden City', Beijing. Originally built by the Kangxi emperor and and expanded by the Yongzheng and Qialong emperors during the 18th century as a residence and for government affairs. Used as a daily residence by the Daoguang emperor who died there. It was then destroyed by European troops in 1860 (Kangxi, Daoguang and Republic periods). For what its worth, that is what it says in my book.

Stan

As for authenticity, Peter better take this one, I am not that familiar with these wares, I would think if genuine it would be Imperial and just the little I know about Imperial ware this seem to not have the overall quality that is seen in Imperial ware, my personal opinion.

peterp

This is a 20th century item. Shende Tang was used for the wares used by the emperor. But, apart from quality being insufficient the marks of that time were different.