明宣德大青花盆, Large blue flower plate from Xuande, Ming Dynasty

Started by john8888, Apr 28, 2024, 06:38:37

Previous topic - Next topic

john8888

john8888

The middle two columns with 6 letters is his signature (Xuande emperor) 
I have no evidence, but the style of letter is different from rest letters that make me think it may be his signature. The remaining letters translated to English; The Xuande emperor presented in emperor kiln to produce this plate. 
It is so interesting, this why I posted for your enjoyment. 

peterp

If you did not buy this yet, please don't. It is an easy to recognise fake. First the decoration type and colors are virtually non-existent, as far as I know.
In addition the character 窑 (in the middle, at the top) is simplified Chinese. The proper character would be 窯.
Simplified Chinese was only used from about the 1950s or early 60s.
No emperor or imperial kiln would ever have used that character.

I would recommend not buying 'any' Xuande reign marked wares or imperial wares of that reign. There are almost no authentic items with that mark in the open market. Authentic Xuande imperial or other high-quality wares of that reign are usually only seen in museums or top international auctions. They are just too rare and expensive.

Also, bottoms that are very dirty or damaged etc. are mostly found on fakes. They are intentionally made to look that way because many new collectors think these may be that way due to an item's age.

john8888

[color=#000000][size=4][font=Arial, Microsoft YaHei]颜真卿写的楷书窑书法图片(1种)[/font][/size][/color]
[list]
[li][color=#000000][size=2][font=Arial, Microsoft YaHei][size=2][img alt=颜真卿写的窑 title=颜真卿写的窑]http://c.cidianwang.com/file/shufa/kaishu/fa0b5ff71d176375.gif[/img][/size][/font][/size][/color][/li]
[/list]
[color=#4d4d4d][size=2][font=Segoe UI, Helvetica Neue, Nimbus Sans L, Arial, Liberation Sans, sans-serif]John[/font][/size][/color]

john8888

[color=#4d4d4d][size=2][font=Segoe UI, Helvetica Neue, Nimbus Sans L, Arial, Liberation Sans, sans-serif]颜真卿写的楷书窑书法图片(1种)[/font][/size][/color] [b][color=#202122][size=3][font=sans-serif]颜真卿[/font][/size][/color][/b][color=#202122][size=3][font=sans-serif](709年—785年, [/font][/size][/color][color=#202122][size=3][font=sans-serif]书法家。其楷书与[/font][/size][/color][url="https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/欧阳询"][color=#3366cc][size=3][font=sans-serif]欧阳询[/font][/size][/color][/url][color=#202122][size=3][font=sans-serif]、[/font][/size][/color][url="https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/柳公权"][color=#3366cc][size=3][font=sans-serif]柳公权[/font][/size][/color][/url][color=#202122][size=3][font=sans-serif]、[/font][/size][/color][url="https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/赵孟頫"][color=#3366cc][size=3][font=sans-serif]赵孟𫖯[/font][/size][/color][/url][color=#202122][size=3][font=sans-serif]并称"楷书四大家"[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#4d4d4d][size=2][font=Segoe UI, Helvetica Neue, Nimbus Sans L, Arial, Liberation Sans, sans-serif][color=#202122][size=3][font=sans-serif]窑  is not simplified Chinese, it is  楷书 which exist AD 785 before [/font][/size][/color]Ming [/font][/size][/color][color=#4d4d4d][size=2][font=Segoe UI, Helvetica Neue, Nimbus Sans L, Arial, Liberation Sans, sans-serif]dynasty. I respective you very much and just provide what is the way of this letter.[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#4d4d4d][size=2][font=Segoe UI, Helvetica Neue, Nimbus Sans L, Arial, Liberation Sans, sans-serif]I am 90 years man and know how to write simplified Chinese and  [color=#222222][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]繁体字 as well as  楷书. But in Chinese ceramic area, I am a small student and study from your comments. Now I almost finished your e book which obtained from your web. Thank you, Peter it is real good book to be study.[/font][/color][/font][/size][/color]
[color=#4d4d4d][size=2][font=Segoe UI, Helvetica Neue, Nimbus Sans L, Arial, Liberation Sans, sans-serif][color=#222222][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]John[/font][/color][/font][/size][/color]

Stan

Your right Peter it is an obvious fake, and do you notice the pictures are poor grade so you can't see minute details, age signs and details can not be seen.

john8888

[color=#4d4d4d][size=2][font=Segoe UI, Helvetica Neue, Nimbus Sans L, Arial, Liberation Sans, sans-serif]颜真卿写的楷书窑书法图片[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#4d4d4d][size=2][font=Segoe UI, Helvetica Neue, Nimbus Sans L, Arial, Liberation Sans, sans-serif][img]about:invalid[/img][/font][/size][/color]

peterp

Some of us use the Kangxi dictionary to research old characters and "old" variations, and not one of the new ones online, which may be "modernized" removing some old, unused character types and variations.

Here is a version of the original, hand-printed one:
https://www.kangxizidian.com/v1/

Both characters did exist aleady in that time, but todays 'traditional' Chinese uses the said character, while the simplified Chinese uses the simpler version.

peterp

Yes Stan,
The marking would mean it was imperial, but an item of this poor quality would no doubt have ended up on the shartd mound without delay.
One must understand that quality requirements even in those times was already high at the imperial kiln. Everything that did not conform to that quality level would have been destroyed or even buried before leaving the kiln.

john8888

This is the picture of microscope 500x from this plate

peterp

The presence of bubbles does not mean an item is very old. Virtually all glazes show some bubbles. The age signs of the bubble themselves are the real age signs, and here are none. Every glaze type is different, so no generalization is possible, but the changes of bubble colors are what indicate age.

We always check multiple features of an item, but a single one that does not fit age or authenticity is sufficient to negate all of it.
You can not just ignore facts that speak against authenticity with a picture of bubbles intending to explain why it must be genuine. The bubbles do not need to be considered with such a simple to recognize fake.
Do not look at marks, believing there content must be right. They and any certificates or labels etc. that come with items can also be fake.