OX blood bulbous vase

Started by Stan, Nov 04, 2023, 06:03:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, Here is another vase I recently acquired,  the vase is 15.2 cm tall and has a bulbous shape, almost looks Korean in shape this has pitting in the glaze and on the inside looks like old dirt, I was able to get a partial photo of the inside, the foot is flat and there are dead bubbles, I could not find any rust spots, could you tell me if this is old and if the shape is correct, Thanks Peter, I think this could be Qing but Im not sure about the foot.
BTW, the correct color of the ox blood red is the 2 pictures of the foot shows the correct dark red color, the flash on my camera makes it look much brighter.

Stan

Here are photo's of the bottom, Thanks again.

peterp

It's the same with me, Stan. The foot makes it look more like Ming, but I guess the glaze is more likely Qing, perhaps on the earlier side. Kangxi wares may have such a foot rim.
As you noted, it is not a common Chinese shape, but could not be from the neighbouring countries either. The glaze and everything looks old. Are there crackles in the red glaze?
What is puzzling apart from the shape is the fact that it it is white on the top rim and along the bottom. How did it get that way? Is the top rim glazed or is that white due to grinding the glaze off?
There is a type of early Qing glaze that is red and the top edge is always white (called Langyao red in Chinese), but it does not usually have a white lower edge. Rather the red glaze is going down to the very bottom. Its white top rim was normally glazed red but the glaze would run down a bit from the top edge, creating a white rim. But in this case the bottom also has a white edge.
If that is Langyao red ware its value would be considerably higher than normal red glazed Qing items. The red tone would be right too.

(See results of image search in Chinese:  https://tinyurl.com/y7xjp5dv)

Stan

Hi Peter, I took some pictures that are a little clearer showing the red glaze sliding off the slip giving it a white rim top and the bottom you can see the white slip where it ends just before the foot and the red glaze that stops just before the slip, and yes there is a crackle in the red glaze but it is hard to see with out a magnifier. Here are the extra photo's, Thanks again for all your help.

peterp

My mistake! After all it is probably not a Langyao red item, but a normal item with a red glaze.
With Langyao red wares there should be a considerably wide white area below the mouth, as the red color of that type of glaze is running down. And, there should be no white area near the foot, as it is fully covered by the red glaze.
Here only the very top of the glaze is white, and the white area near the foot rim means the red color content of the glaze was not going down to the bottom. Still, early Qing dynasty in my view.

BTW, the pink look of the inside of the mouth was a bit confusing me, but the later pictures show the color as they should be.
It should also be noted that some translations making the Langyao red glaze equal to the ox-blood red glaze are not correct. The latter only seems to be referring to a specific red color glaze, while the former (Chinese) name only points to a glaze with the specific white top area, which develops in the kiln during the firing.

Stan

Thanks Peter, I am always learning, it is good to know that it is early Qing, I think I will keep this one.