Photos for previous post - footrim help please

Started by Lyle, Aug 14, 2023, 22:43:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyle

I can't get my photos to show, will try again.

Stan

From just what I can see it is 20th century or later, the foot is straight up and the specks were added to make it appear older.

Lyle

What do you mean by a straight up foot? There are knife trim marks on both the outside and inside of the footrim. Inside the middle bottom area, the walls of the foot go up at an angle to the top of the foot but go straight up on the outside part.

peterp

All the manual manufacturing tracing of the old times can and are imitated in today's fakes. 
I'm suspicious of this too. Too many dots in the glaze. While ancient kilns show defects in many ways, this is not really one of them. A few, yes, but here they are all over. 
An inspection of the interior of the glaze showing the effects of aging in the interior of the glaze could clarify this, but this is impossible with pictures, I'm afraid.

Lyle

Lyle

I almost forgot, there is a mark along side the foot. What does it say?

peterp

Not sure if there is any name with such a character like this or if it is two characters combined that it looks like two. If it is one it says Ji.
With this mark picture we have information to confirm that this is not a Chinese antique. If it is from Japan or elsewhere is difficult to know, but China never marked items like this. The alternative is that is very new.

Stan

Hi Lyle, the photo of the side view of the plate sitting on a toaster or something shows the bottom foot, if it was old, it would be slanted on the out side foot but it is straight, that is what I mean.