Large Celadon vase, Japanese ?

Started by Stan, Apr 02, 2023, 11:19:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Here is another vase, this has similar stilt marks, 5 like the other, this one seems to be older, it is very large at 50.8 cm tall and it is heavily potted, I think it is Japanese simply because of the stilts used in the kiln for firing, please let me know what you think on age and is it Japanese, thanks again.

Stan

Here are 3 more photo's to view, thank you for all your help.

peterp

Hi Stan,
I doubt that this is very old, I also do not know if it could be a Japanese Longquan imitation. Without a decoration it is more difficult to tell. With Chinese antique Longquan items the  celadon glaze would not usually have a brown top rim. I guess yours here is painted, not a metal rim?
Brown top rims are most often found on late Ming wares, with the brown rim glaze used to strengthen the top rim in order to avoid glaze peeling (flea bites) of thin BW items. 
To me the stilt marks look more like glaze punctures. I doubt that the firing supports would have resulted in such stilt marks, not sure of the modern ones, though. With an ancient stilt support ring the material would have been a relatively rough clay. The glaze would have glued it to the bottom and a slight knock would have been required to remove it. This in turn may have exposed or broken off the tip of the stilt. These marks here are much too smooth and regular in my view.
It also appears as if the foot rim type, a wide rounded one resembles more a late Qing or later foot rim. And with such a rim stilts would not have been required. The original Japanese stilt marks would be more normal paired with glazed foot rims, I suppose?

These are several questions that give the impression as if it might be 20th century Chinese celadon rather than Japanese, I'm afraid.

Stan

Thanks Peter, if it is Chinese and I think you are right, it would have to be late 20th century wouldn't it, I mean what is the point of using stilts with an unglazed foot, perhaps decorative?

peterp

Sure that is the question... confusing buyers, perhaps. Not all fakers know enough about all features used with  certain types and/or periods. One could also ask why should they use marks of periods other than when an item was actually made. Those in the know will know the relevant actual age anyway.

Stan

Hi Peter, what the Local auction houses are doing these days are auctioning off several pieces in one lot, meaning you have to buy all the other items for one that might be good, on the Large bottle vase I posted there was something on the surface of the vase that was hard to remove but when I removed it the surface was very shiny mirror like glaze, and others have scuff marks that are easy to spot, luckily I did not pay to much, $200. for all three, I will post the lidded jar next, thanks Peter for all your help and advise.