Twin fishes celadon plates

Started by bluebird26, Mar 16, 2023, 17:56:42

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebird26

Hi, I would like to know if this plate was Made in China or in one of the Kiln in Thailand.
I know it doesn't have much value because it's glaze is damaged but I find it interesting.
Thank you,
Fred

peterp

Could you upload a side view? The outer rim as visible from above looks unfamiliar. A side view could tell more. It has some resemblance to Longquan ware but is the celadon actually a different color? Looks as if this might be shipwreck porcelain. Also how big is this? Is it a dish or plate?

bluebird26

Hi Peter, thank you for your reply. It is shallow bowl or a dish, 19 cm in diameter.
Your are wright, it is probably a shipwreck item. Here are the photos of the side.

Ianf

This looks a little like Thai from Sawan Khalok or Sukothai. I have a similar item. 

peterp

Yes, I have thought about the possibility that it might be Vietnamese or Thai too, which made celadon plates too. However, I seem to be unable to find any "twin fish celadon" plates that are similar to this, except lots of such being made at Longquan kilns in China. 
I was a bit unsure about the top rim, but it seems normal for Longquan. This type of central decoration was common on plates, which sometimes also had impressed floral decorations or no central decoration at all.
The reddish bottom was obviously bleached in the sea and it exposed the clay, another factor speaking for Longquan. Gray clay was common in Longquan wares.
I would think it is more likely Longquan than anything else. 

Recommended source for further research of celadons, both from China and Vietnam, Thailand:  www.mingwrecks.com/RoyalNanhai.html

bluebird26

Hi Peter thank you for the link , it looks very interesting.
I thought that there is a white slip applied under the glaze, that is visible on the bottom.
Regards,
Fred

peterp

I don't think slip was used on such plates. But I can confirm that some Lonquan plates were using a pure white clay, because I purchased a repaired one which I had to re-glue.

The white matter some shipwreck items have may be the result of erosion or maritime sediment.

bluebird26