Antique Vase with Dragons and blue eared pheasant

Started by itsdjsway, Mar 09, 2023, 11:19:47

Previous topic - Next topic

itsdjsway

Hello, I just joined the site I am a NEWBIE. I recently started doing some collecting and research on collecting oriental/asian vases and ceramic items. I have done "somewhat well" so far with items that are simple to identify but this lidded vase has had me searching over a week now to identify the makers mark. It is all white with what appears to be a "blue eared pheasant" that looks like a chicken and dragons with flames with a ball in the claws and the entire white is a blueish hue. The glaze has cracks as can be seen so I am assuming this must have some age. I am not interested in selling any items but i have always loved dragons since childhood and absolutely fell more in love more recently with older vases and such to collect and leave to my grandchildren when I pass. Could someone please tell me what the maker is with this marking? I would be extremely grateful for any info. on this and I will continue to collect and likely will find myself on this site often if I find it as interesting as it seems to me already. Thank yo MUCH!!!!   :>)   :>)[attach id=54249]orient.jpg[/attach]

peterp

The mark says "Qianlong", but Chinese marks cannot be used for dating, in general, because many are apocryphal. For the reasons please read the pertaining remarks in the "Marks" section of the main site. 
Pictures will be needed (with good resolution), showing the item from above, the side and bottom, to make an identification possible.

itsdjsway

Hello peterp thank you so much for your response. So much appreciated. I am not at all familiar yet with this site. Will everyone see else this message I send to you? I verified my email addy and whatever was asked of me but when I attempted to find you for a private message I am told by automated message that I am not allowed to access certain areas so I am a bit confused. Perhaps I have done something incorrectly but I cannot see anything else I should do.......?? I have another piece I purchased a LONG time ago and just came across it, I think this was the very first piece I bought when I first became seriously interested in collecting oriental items. It was shortly after I stayed for a time in the Philippines Islands. A friends mom there gave me 2 vases or Urns with Komodo dragons on them that had been passed down for Generations as many things there are and I was told 1 was for a man and one was for his wife. They had been made from clay that was close to a volcano in Bicol , (where I stayed several months) ,which is said that volcanic clay has healing and other properties which made any vessel "sacred" that contained water, any liquid or ashes from a person that had passed on. I will try to send this message to you and hope it goes direct because I will try to attach 2 pic files with my message. Obviously you are very well informed on these items and your reply to me was quite kind! I like that and like communicating with you ......  :>)

itsdjsway

peterp  I have no idea where my messages are going. My email is  ****@gmail.com let me know if these messages go to you directly.pd

[admin:  It is not advisable to put email address in a post as the forum is visited daily by search engines, making the email public on the net)

peterp

Kindly read the forum and picture related guidelines at the top of this forum.
The pictures are only thumbnail size in which nothing is clearly visible, and there are more views of the items needed showing them from different sides (incl. bottom)
Additional partial close-up shots of decoration areas with good resolution may also help with identification and dating. Blemishes should not be hidden, they are an important part of any evaluation.

Please do not just enlarge small pictures as this does not help with resolution.