Please help identify pedestal dish

Started by bea_m, Feb 02, 2023, 11:03:00

Previous topic - Next topic

bea_m

Please help me identify the period, marking, and type of this red pedestal dish. There are holes in the bottom which I find odd. Is this usual of ceramics of this kind?
As with the other jar (butterfly), this was purchased by my late partner at a warehouse sale in Shanghai in the 1990s. He was not sure of the age or type of this ceramic. Would this be a real antique, or a copy?

peterp

It is neither antique nor a copy. If this was bought in the 90s, it must have been new or at least not very old. The colors (especially the red) are virtually impossible on antiques.
The item has a Qianlong mark which is frequently found on 20th century items. These marks can not be used for dating and served only as decoration.

The hole is there because the stem is hollow but closed on top and below. The hole is needed for hot air to escape during the firing in the kiln. If there was none the stem would just burst due to the hot air pressure inside.

bea_m

Wow... interesting bit about the hole for keeping the stem on while firing.
Now I know this is a "young" piece.
Thanks so much!!! 

peterp

The hole is not related to age. It is just the best unobtrusive place to have it. With antique figurines there is sometimes seemingly none because it is hidden. It may be in the mouth, an ear, etc.  :)