Unknown Ginger Pot

Started by hooperman, Mar 07, 2023, 23:18:27

Previous topic - Next topic

hooperman

Hi and thanks for letting me join. I have this pot which has been sitting in the house for over 20 years now, it was given to me by my father in law who has since passed away, i have no idea if its a fake or real, i have tried without sucess to identify the markings so i am hoping that someone can shed some light onto it, thanks in advance.

peterp

The first character of the stamped mark itself states that it is an imitation of a Qing dynasty Qianlong reign item. The character style is typical for the second half of the 20th century.
This said, not sure whether this really was made in China because of the lid shape, which is higher than usual. The decoration colors are somewhat reminiscent of Japanese wares.

Stan

I agree with Peter, Japanese, The tiny gold spots is a Japanese decoration, mostly seen on Satsuma pottery.

hooperman

Thanks guys, really helpfull bearing in mind this then i assume its not worth much, i was actually on the point of throwing it away

Stan

Hi Hooperman, this might be vintage judging by the bottom, I would date this to the 2nd half of the 20th century, and it is a nicely decorated, it has some collectable value, depending on size it could be a tea caddy.