Kangxi vase

Started by hpbruna, Oct 17, 2022, 07:44:17

Previous topic - Next topic

hpbruna

Hi, can anyone tell me if this a genuine Kangxi period vase? Thank you!

peterp

Please provide detail pictures (side view) showing dragon head, tail tip and claws. If possible please provide an enlarged, partial view of the front image where the dragon's scales are better visible.
Also, is there a horizontal seam visible somewhere in middle of the vase body inside or both inside/outside?

hpbruna

Here you can find all 15 images. I don't see a horizontal seam visible somewhere.

www.marktplaats.nl/v/antiek-en-kunst/antiek-porselein/m1896905130-chinees-porselein-rouleau-rolvaas-antiek-kangxi

peterp

A seam is a precondition for Kangxi ware as such items were made in at least two pieces, which then were stuck together. In that reign it would still be visible inside.
The dragon and painting may be about Guangxu reign export or early republic, but a hands-on inspection may differ. There are no clear age or usage signs.

Stan

I believe Kangxi marks like this would have had a double circle around the mark, a closer photo of the dragons tail and head would be good but from these photo's it looks like 20th century.

peterp

Yes that seems to be right, most would have a double circle, indeed, but there are a few exceptions. There were even a few four-character marks.

What should be noted that in the later part of the Kangxi reign 'all' reign marks were forbidden to be used by private kilns, only the official kiln could use them. (Apparently, during the early Kangxi reign the new emperor was still busy with fighting against the remnants of the Ming, etc.)
Only after that was stabilized had he time to look at less urgent matters. This might also be the reason for the large variety of pictorial marks used during this reign.

The above should also explain why any use of Kangxi reign marks is unlikely to mean that an item is of the period.

Stan

Thanks Peter for the great information on Kangxi marks.