Qianjiang teapot

Started by Adriano, Sep 28, 2022, 21:31:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriano

This piece is new to my collection.
I think it is of Guangxu period.
It seems that there is a cyclical date yi wei (1895).

Thank you for your thoughts.

peterp

Hi Adriano,

The painting style is indeed that of the late 19th century, but could you tell me where you see "yi wei"?  I cannot read all characters due to the handwriting, but I cannot find anything that looks like 乙未.

Adriano

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your comments.
As you know I cannot read Chinese, I look at a table of cyclical dates and examples of dated porcelains.
This looks me, but I can be wrong.

Adriano

Hi again,

After further researches, I realized that the writing character on the right side could be not what I think.
It is important that the piece is really of the end of 19th century, no problem for the date.

Thank you for your help.

peterp

What you marked on the left side is not an individual character.
These two would be 生風, the literal meaning of this is "it got windy" or "a wind arose". Normally if there are larger characters, they are on the right side, and they are some verse or other words. The smaller ones on the left may contain some type of dating and/or the season, the place and/or name of the painter. Sometimes nothing of these is present.

Ianf

I note that the teapot's handle is missing. I've seen many without the handle. Is the handle important as far as affecting the collectability or value?

Adriano

Hi Peter,

Very interesting to know, thank you.

Adriano

Hi Lanf,

Very interesting question.
The teapot has the handle, it was not visible in the previous pictures.
I collect teapots whit handle, for the integrity of the pieces, although I cannot evaluate if the handle is original or not.
I think that the handle has some impact on the value, but I am not able to quantify it.
For sure Peter can help.

peterp

I do not think that a missing handle will affect value. As far as I have seen the older looking handles seem to be made of wrought iron (handmade). Those I have seen are square-shaped  and twisted, not round, and the ends get thinner towards the ends.
This also will explain that the handle on Adriano's teapot looks as if it is a replacement made of wire. The majority of such pots I have seen do have no or only replacement handles.

Ianf

Thank you for the answer. I've seen many with replacement wire handles. I guess they add to the charm!!! 

Adriano

Hi Peter,

this is the teapot reported in the other post.

peterp

Hi Adriano, after revisiting this post due to the spout holes mentioned in the other post, I wish to propose a different dating. First quarter of 20th century. Cannot tell if late Guangxu or early republic.
I'm aware that the painting is suggestive of an earlier period, but earlier decorations sometimes appear on later made objects. Two or three point made me think this way. The strainer shaped spout holes, which obviously were made with a specific tool not used in earlier times, the foot rim is neater shaved than usual, and the lack of abrasion on any black color of the painting as well as the writing on this pot.
This is beautifully painted, above average, in my view, but it may not have been used or was made a bit later than the painting itself suggests. This is my personal opinion.

Adriano

Hi Peter,

thanks for these interesting and useful considerations.