Kraak style bowl

Started by Stan, Feb 08, 2022, 03:23:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, is this 18th century, the blue looks good and the slanted foot and the kiln grit on the foot, I have seen marks like the mark on the bottom I do not think they are chatter marks, they look like they were made intentionally, have you seen marks like this on the bottom and how old would you date this bowl, thanks you for your expertise.

Stan

here is a couple more photo's to view.

Stan

Here are the last two photo's, thanks again.

peterp

You are quite right, Stan. Those appear to be fake chatter marks. I suspect the bowl could be Japanese.

I'm afraid I cannot always tell for sure whether the Kraak bowls are made in Japan or China. Japan made quite a lot of them, and some of them are very good copies. When I started collecting them I bought more than a dozen bowls, and later found out that they probably were Japanese, made in the 19th century according to the book "Kraak Porcelain" by Maura Rinaldi. They have the same outside decorations as yours. The only difference between that and the Chinese ones is a slight difference of the color tone of the blue decoration, the color tone is more like that of some Guangxu wares. Generally said, Chinese Kraak wares generally have fewer or no chatter marks, and they are irregular. In addition it is possible to find glaze imperfections etc. on those who have them. The smaller the item the less likely they show chatter marks.

Of course you see here how regular and prominent the fake chatter marks can be. Are they Chinese fakes or Japanese copies? Not sure, there are sometimes only minor differences in the style of some painted features.
Anyway, I think so "beautifully" regular chatter marks might have been difficult to be made on ancient wheels. Please do not buy too many of these.
I should also note that larger dishes or plates are usually a bit easier to decide if they are Chinese in origin or not, in view to the bottom. Bowls are more likely looking this way, and more likely Japanese.

I have several non-Kraak dragon/phoenix dishes with Ming Wanli marks which look perfectly Chinese, but also have those artificial chatter marks. I'm not sure if they are just other Japanese imitations of Chinese wares, or if they are modern Chinese fakes, because I never saw such marks elsewhere on Chinese looking items.

peterp

Here is an example of one of the dragon/phoenix dishes showing those chatter marks.

Stan

Thanks Peter, in the back of my mind I was thinking; could this be Japanese, I wonder, thanks for the formation.