antique jar?

Started by de munte, Mar 27, 2022, 01:43:00

Previous topic - Next topic

de munte

Totdat Ik bought this in a second hand shop. The lid is restaurated.

Looks like 18th century porcelain. But i don't know or it is fake.

Greetings de munte

de munte

Photos

de munte

Photos

de munte

peterp

This is a difficult one. The flame-shaped decoration is virtually unknown to me, and so is the shape. The band along the neck is typical Qing.

But is is the shape of the jar which is not a typical, traditional shape which poses a question, in my view.
Just as a hint, if the connection of bottom and inside of foot rim is rounded, it is more likely 20th century. Not sure if this could be one of those export only shapes made to order.

de munte

I've seen a sort of same one by an chinese porcelain dealer on internet.

They sell as " for middle east export" . Same decoration.

But I could'n seen the bottom of the object on the site.

Greetings Peter

de munte

elogedelart.canalblog.com/archives/2011/01/29/20248458.html

Object number 8

de munte

peterp

Thanks, that is good information.
The 3rd and 8th items are something new to me. The latter especially because its unusual shape, which is unusual among traditional Chinese wares.

The imperial collection has all sorts of wares in their collection, often made especially for the palace, but I must say that I was not aware that exports to the Middle East were still ongoing in the Qing dynasty. It is possible to find Arabic and Persian writing on some items of the mid-Qing period, but I have seen them only on some plates.
Many Chinese items were influenced by Persian shapes and decorations, but that was much earlier, in the period of the Yuan dynasty and earlier.

de munte

Thanks for the answers. So this is a 20th century immitation because of the rim?
Or is kangxi possible cause it was maybe for export to the middle east?

Greetings de munte

peterp

The details are not very clear in these pictures, but even if they were, it would be difficult to tell for me (I do not have sufficient experience in this area). Just use a magnifier or microscope to look at the unglazed foot rim. If it is very fine and very white it might be newer. If you have a microscope, look at the bubbles in the glaze, if they are all small and uniformly distributed it is more likely newer. The glaze should not be snow white if early Qing. Usually there is a slight tint to it. It is more likely snow white in or after the late Qing dynasty.
Also, are there some glaze indents or imperfections or none at all?  Is the connection between foot rim and base area rounded or not. If yes, then it may be later.
But really, if this is export porcelain then it is difficult to tell. Export porcelain was imitated less than other wares and, if this was made for the Middle East, you would also have to consider if it might have been copied/made there. Persia is known to have imitated Chinese wares, but that is about all I know.

Research... :)