Japanese plate

Started by peterp, Nov 02, 2021, 09:35:59

Previous topic - Next topic

peterp

An old plate from years ago. Still not quite sure if it is 19th century, Meiji, late Edo, or later?
A pair of phoenixes painted in gilt on a dark purplish background. Bottom shows Japanese stilts.
Any new information is highly appreciated.

Stan

The bottom flat foot looks like Awaji, I have several that have similar stilt marks in the same triangle pattern, however, I have never seen this color on Awaji before or the gold on top of the glaze, nice plate, unusual color.

peterp

Thanks Stan. That is something I can work with. This only shows that I know next to nothing of later Japanese later porcelain. :)
If I remember right I was told that it was late Edo or early Meiji, but that would be about third quarter of the 19th century. Do you think it is later? Not sure if the gilt is in such an excellent condition because it was never used, or if it is from a later time.

Stan

I would think this is Mid Meiji esp. if it is Awaji lets see if someone else comment on it.
BTW the glaze looks like it has an iridescence to it which is typical of Awaji, they put lead in the glaze and that is what causes the iridescence.

peterp

Not sure if this is iridescence, at least not in the sense as we see it in Chinese porcelain. It has a very dark blue color with a purplish tint in it, so that depending on the angle to the light the color appears to have a reddish hue.

Stan

The one photo of the bottom shows the iridescence or looks like it.

peterp

Stan, I think I found it on the Japanese internet. If you look at this:  tinyurl.com/55z3zvhh
This is a search result for 古伊万里瑠璃金彩. That is "Ko-imari Ruri Gilt". Ruri is the blue color, but I have always thought that Ko-imari (=old Imari) was the designation for the oldest type of blue and white made in Japan.
Does Ko-imari mean it was made in Kyushu in one of the kilns exporting via Imari port? Or is the term used for the style resembling a type of decoration, no matter where it was made?

The bottom of some of these items shown is clearly the same.