Double gourd vase with handles

Started by Stan, Aug 07, 2021, 07:00:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I have a pair of these, could you tell me how old do you think they are, they look like they have age but I am not familiar with this type of decoration, Im not even sure what the decoration is some kind of squash may be, the size is 18.8 cm. thanks for  your help.

Stan

Here are two more photo's to view.

Stan

Here are the last of the photo's, thanks again.

peterp

I'm afraid this might be not antique. Decorations of this type with squash and butterflies would have been popular in the early 19th century, about Daoguang reign, but they would hardly have used such a pink color as on these handles. You see pink on export items from the Yongzheng reign, then hardly anymore in the Qing dynasty until lster in the Guangxu reign, but it was really used much more later, in the republic period. And, the early pink of Yongzheng was not that shiny. The glaze seems a bit too white for early 19th century. Mostly white glazes would have been more mellow then with a few exceptions, perhaps. And, there is a Qianlong mark which is on top of the glaze. Enamel marks are unlikely from the Qianlong reign, most blue marks were underneath the glaze and usually of a bit lighter in color than this. This type of mark could have been added later.

peterp

This one has a decoration showing both squash and butterfly. 19th century. Please note the color tone difference in white between the glaze and the white copy paper in the background.

Stan

Thanks Peter for showing a good example of 19th century White ground color.