Cup 18th century?

Started by de munte, May 16, 2021, 04:36:16

Previous topic - Next topic

de munte

Today I bought this café au lait cup.

Greetings de munte

Stan

Hi De Munte, is that the true brown dull color, the Batavia ware Im used to seeing has a shiny iridescence finish is that on yours? and one of the foot again without the glare, thanks.

de munte

Photos

de munte

Photos

Stan

Thanks for the additional photo's, this is Guangxu period in my opinion, In the Kangxi period there was a bright blue like this but very rare, however it is missing the iridescence and in the Guangxu period their was a Kangxi revival, I think that is what you have here.

de munte

I also see this sort of cups on the web dated as Qianlong.
Today I made a picture by daylight.

Stan

I could not find an exact cup like yours, with the blue fish decoration, their are fish decorations similar but not the same, but the new photo's you posted could indeed be 18th century, some times it is better to wait and see what others post or see if you can find something with the same colors and same shape and decoration, all the Kangxi ones I looked at have a darker blue and the Cafe au lait is darker with a more intense iridescence.

peterp

This color did actually exist in the Qianlong reign, although I have not see that many there are a few which are an even lighter shadow of brown. Like some milk coffee perhaps. I mention this only to let you know there are several variations of this brown color and, contrary to what I thought early on, it does also on some porcelain not made for export. I just saw one with a lighter color marked 'Daoguang.
Although it is not common in the late Qing dynasty, my impression of the simple fish decoration and blue hue is that it might be late Qing...Guangxu or thereabouts. Or it was not for export.

de munte

Thanks for the information.
I don't no it anymore :-).

I've seen the same selled on Catawiki as 18th century. But who says that's right....

I've choosed the wrong hobby ;-)

Greetings de munte

de munte

www.catawiki.com/l/11929165-antique-cafe-au-lait-porcelain-bowls-china-18th-century

Here they were selled as 18th century. But I Saw the same as 19th century.

peterp

I could go with those on Catawiki with 18th century. The blue color, etc. are all natural for Qianlong. But the bright blue on yours is pointing to some other period, but not sure which.