Started by kardinalisimo, May 03, 2021, 11:21:37

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

Any thought on this dish?
Thanks

kardinalisimo

pics

peterp

It takes larger pictures to confirm what I seem to perceive.
Doucai ware was already expensive when it was created, in the Ming dynasty. I have some doubts that a genuine one from the Qing dynasty would have such a common, unrefined foot rim. It was not widely produced in the Qing dynasty, but the quality of this bottom and a double ring mark are doubtful at the least. My personal opinion.
The rim decoration is not nicely painted either, it could even have been added by transfer, but the picture is too small to tell for sure.

Stan

Hi Kardinalisio, I would like to comment on the orange colour, did they have an orange colour back then? and if so when did they start using it?

kardinalisimo

I think type of "orange" was developed during Ming.
I also think the rim border is hand painted but looks like transfer because of the visible potter's turning tool marks.
But the Ming key fret would have been in pairs not continuous.
Curious about the bats depiction - is is common for specific period?

peterp

Yes, the rim seems to be hand painted, but the painting quality is too inferior for this type of decoration (doucai), as is the foot rim and double ring mark. I would check on the wares in major museums for comparison, because most doucai wares on the market are 20th century products. The foot rim here is at the best of ordinary minyao quality. Normally one could expect a worm back foot rim of a white or off-white but light color, not this orange type. The clay would have been more refined. Doucai wares were not made for the ordinary people.