Chinese celadon, old or new?

Started by de munte, Apr 14, 2021, 21:35:23

Previous topic - Next topic

de munte

Bought this today in a second hand shop.

de munte

Height is 50 mm

Side to side is 126 mm

Stan

In my opinion, this is modern, the children with a ring around the neck and the 4 leaf clover is a bit strange, and the foot showing the 3 kiln marks looks to fresh, clean, on an antique it would not be so clean a break, let's see what Peter says.

de munte

Thanks for the fast answer.

de munte

peterp

If right this would be a Yaozhou kiln bowl from the Song dynasty. The carved/impressed decoration with children does exist; usually decorations of that period are different from what appears later in the Ming and Qing dynasties. The feature that Stan mentioned needs to be checked. The more ancient kilns were completely different in view to decoration.
What would be needed is a close (very close) partial picture of the decoration, in order to view the glaze. And one of the foot, both the rim and interior area should be clearly visible. That are the decisive points in deciding whether it is old or a fake.

peterp

The ring-shaped item seems to exist, but do not know what it actually depicts. Please be aware that the items on the market are mostly fakes. See the the detail picture of such a decoration at:
www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/42429

Please note that some decorations of the Song dynasty may show the details of people more realistic than in the much later Ming and Qing dynasties!

Stan

I wish they showed the bottom on the one at the museum.

peterp

Some museums now do.

Want to look at Yaozhou bottoms? This is an image search result. Look out for those with "dpm" in the URL, because those are from the Palace Museum in Peking. Those with "read01" or "kknews" are mostly okay too. That means these are not fakes.
(see link above)

de munte

alaintruong2014.wordpress.com/2015/01/05/yaozhou-greenware-bowl-with-boys-amid-peony-scrolls-northern-song-dynasty-ad-960-1127/

de munte

on mine there is no crackle? and different bottom?

peterp

One word, most items of that period are either from excavations or shipwrecks. That means they may show ingrained soil or traces from the sea. In addition, the bottom/foot rims usually show production related traces like fingernail or uneven glaze edges at the bottom. Everything perfect in that aspect is likely fake.

de munte

More photos.

de munte

peterp

Just noted that I forgot to add the link to the Yaozhou items, mentioned below. Here is it:
https://tinyurl.com/452bwr4c