Chinese (???) 15'' platter

Started by askent, Apr 12, 2021, 06:04:13

Previous topic - Next topic

askent

Here is another collection item.

peterp

Can you take a partial picture at an angle, showing the foot rim, please? What should be visible is the cross section shape, because that is related to the period. The decoration is Kangxi, but because many items were copie later in the Qing dynasty or afterwards, the porclain body shape, glaze and especially its bottom is important for evaluation.

For example, if you have little indents in the glaze of the bottom, they can also point to certain era. We look usually at about five features to make sure. The decoration is the part that is most easily copied. We need to exclude the possibility that it is a copy so need to check other points too.

askent

Thanks for all the info. I will take the picture asap since all the plates are stored and a bit difficult to reach at the moment..

askent

Hi Peterp,
I know this is not what you want but for the moment this is all I have...

peterp

What we want to know is if the foot rim is slanted on the outside. If you have an opporutnity, take a picture at an angle of about 30-60 degrees, showing the cross-section of the rim better. Unfortunately, in pictures taken from straight above it is often difficult to see if the outer rim face is straight up or slanted. :)

askent

Pictures taken at an angle:

peterp

Thanks for the pictures. Probably Kangxi to Yongzheng reign. Appears to be in pristine condition.