Chinese(???) 16'' blue/white plate (41cm)

Started by askent, Apr 11, 2021, 03:16:26

Previous topic - Next topic

askent

Hi all,

Here is another one...What do you thing about it (period, quality,etc). This is also from my fathers collection since at least 1950s...

peterp

Here again, we would appreciate if you could upload some detail pictures (partial is fine) as with the other. It is too small to see if there are brush strokes or if it is a printed decoration.

askent

Hi all,

Here are more detailed images of the front and the back...

peterp

When looking for something else on the Japanese internet I found an item painted in the same style;' it said it is Imari and from the Edo period. Not sure if this is right.

Stan

Hi Peter, Did the Chinese do similar circle decorations in the Kangxi period?, I know they did in the Guangxu period, the Japanese were copying the Chinese and visa versa, if this is Edo period it would be on the late side in my opinion, I do have items from the Guangxu period that has the circle decorations, the circles are smaller and multi coloured.

peterp

You are right, Stan, but I do not assume I know all decorations. I doubt too that this is Chinese, but I do not know if the Japanese imitated these.
And yes, those I know from the Qing dynasty are smaller with different content, but I think I have seen some from the early 19th or late 18th century. But they were not common then.

askent

Hi all,
Thanks Peterp and Stan,
İs this plate any collectible? What do you honestly think?

Stan

I would date this to the late Meiji period, it has stilt marks on the bottom and it is high fired and the white ground is white white, Im not sure about the mark, it is more than likely to be a makers mark, it is a very nice Charger of 16" size, it is worth collecting, in my opinion.

peterp

Stan, is there a longevity (kotobuki) mark used in Japan? The mark could be a 壽 character.

Stan

Hi Peter, I searched yahoo and apparently there is a Japanese Kotobuki (longevity) mark, the search said to search Nakajima Kotobuki and Tsukasa kotobuki, I am familiar with the Fuku mark you see mostly on Kutani, there appears to be a simplified Kotobuki mark and a Traditional Kotobuki mark, Is the mark on this plate a traditional Kotobuki mark?

peterp

(1) 壽  (2) 寿
It is the full version (1), the right one (2) is the Japanese version, also used in general writing. Both versions have probably been used in Chinese for hundreds of years. 

Stan

So the mark is a longevity mark and not a makers mark, thanks Peter.

askent

askent

Hİ Peterp and Stan, hi all:

so what is your final verdict?