Chinese (???) or.... 43 cm wide plate (Blue-white)

Started by askent, Apr 10, 2021, 19:20:18

Previous topic - Next topic

askent

Hi All,

What about this one, also from my fathers collection?

peterp

Stan

Hi Askent, the front is printed, and I could not find the marks in my books, but the bottom appears to be late 19th or early 20th century, possibly made in Arita.

askent

Hi Stan,
Thanks for your reply. But I dont understand when you say the front is printed and the rear is hand made, late 19th or early 20th. Is it possible that front and buttom are made at different times?...( one side is print and the other is hand made) or do I miss something by ignorance? Here I add a close up image

peterp

The Japanese started porcelain printing, or transfer printing, in the 19th century; that is much earlier than the Chinese. Anything printed if it was Chinese would be later in the 20th century.

Stan

It is possible that the back is printed as well, and hand painted, a close up of the back decoration is needed to verify this, the reason for transfer ware was to speed up the process of export, Arita kilns and others kilns, Arita being the biggest exporter, Arita is where they discovered pure porcelain and shipped it from the port of Imari, this ware took on the name of Imari, It was the English that discovered the transfer method in 1750 and I believe the Japanese started the process as early as 1850, the whole point was Imari porcelain was in high demand and to keep up with the high demand transfer printing was used, you can tell transfer printing by the lines all bing the same intensity in colour, for example hand painted item will start out dark and the line will get lighter as the artist progress until he dips his paint brush again and the line starts dark again, on certain pieces it is hard to see the difference especially if they are using a sharp object to paint.

askent

Thanks a lot Stan,
For your valuable detailed information. Any idea about its market value?

Stan

To me, anything printed will not have a very high collectors value, only the hand painted item will be more collectable.

askent

Here is a close up image of the back...

Stan

Great photo, the back appears to be hand painted.

askent

Thanks Stan;
What is your final opinion? Collectable or not?

Stan

My personal opinion on something printed is just not as collectable as hand painted but who knows, maybe you have an early example that another collector collects and might pay more to obtain it, you never know.

askent

peterp

If you upload a picture of the seal marks to the left of the writing on the bottom, it might (or might not be possible) to get some information on the workshop or manufacturer which made it. No promise though...the text itself is  readable but does not provide a hint.

askent

I dont see any seal mark(?) but here is another close up