Blue and White Qianlong plate

Started by Stan, Apr 05, 2021, 06:24:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I posted these a few years back, It has been awhile but if I remember correctly they are from the Qianlong period, I have had these plates for over 40 years, they are very thin almost egg shell but not quite, The cross diameter size is 24.6 and the thickness is .30 cm

Stan

Hi Peter, I could not get the blue to come out, for some reason the photo's has a purple blue which is not correct, I will try to get the right blue and post.

Stan

Sorry it took so long to get these photo's. I am using a different lens and I can not get a side view without it being so blurry you can't see the rim but the rim is about 3.048 mm thick.

peterp

A very nice Qianlong decoration, indeed. On my BW Qianlong items I have this kind of quality only on tea caddies.

Stan

It must be a pretty nice tea caddy, I wish the picture looked as nice as the real plate, the blue is either to dark with purple or to light, I can't seem to get the in-between, it is not picking up the depth ether, I know it is not the camera, I need to learn more about photography.

peterp

Stan, never mind the color. I can imagine that it is similar what hue that blue is. Fact is that over time the blue tones changed slightly. The blue color depends on where the pigments are from and with what other pigments they were mixed. These items would have been made in Jingdezhen, but Jingdezhen at the time was home to hundreds of kilns. Some probably had different sources for their pigments.
In the Kangxi reign there was also a pigment with a slight purplish hue, but after a period of perhaps two decades it was not used anymore for unknown reasons.

Stan

Thanks Peter, I did not know that about some the Kangxi blue that some of the blue colours used had a slight purplish hue, that is good information, thanks.