Blue and white bowl poss Chinese help needed to ID

Started by Lens75, Mar 23, 2021, 06:06:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Lens75

Hi All
Just posting this enquiry on behalf of my parents who are keen to know anything about this bowl after having been in the family for around 40 years,

it measures approx 10 inches across and approx 4 inches high, no markings on the base and the glaze has a gritty feel to it, that's all I can tell you I'm afraid.

Thank You

Steve

peterp

Hello, this shape and decoration is Japanese, with a Chinese motif.
You might want to post closeup (partial) shots of the rim and interior bottom decoration. Details are not clearly visible but the bottom decoration at least gives the impression that it might be printed, even with these small pictures.

Stan

Peter is right, I have seen many of Japanese bowl like this and it is printed, more than likely 3rd quarter of the 20th century.

Lens75

Hi all
thanks for you for response, here are some closer images, the red seems to be a reflection coming from somewhere

Lens75

Interior bottom decoration image

Lens75

Close up image of the edge detail, trying to also show the texture of the finish/glaze

Thank you

Lens75

Appears to be quite a bit of pitting all over the bowl

peterp

Yes, all of it is printed. This will be decisive regarding the period this is from. Let's wait for Stan, he will probably be able to give you some more information regarding age.

Stan

Thanks for the additional photo's , sometimes it is hard to tell exactly how old something is on Japanese porcelain because they started using transfer methods  in the 19th century, this has age signs pointing to the late Meiji in my opinion, this colour blue was used in that period, also rust spots and blisters in the blue. the decoration was transferred and then filled in by hand painted so it is a combination of transfer and hand painting.

Lens75

Thank you, Stan and Peter for your prompt response, definitely has rust spots inside the bowl and on the base, My parents have just added that about 40 years ago they showed it to a friend who was an antique collector and his face lit up and wanted to buy it on the spot, but they declined as it was a gift.

Once again many thanks for sharing your knowledge

Steve