Large Red and White Hexagonal Gu Vase

Started by smak, Mar 18, 2021, 12:06:46

Previous topic - Next topic

smak

Hi guys

What do you guys think? When was this made?
28 Inches tall!

28" Height x 8 7/8" Wide

approximately

smak

more

smak

smak

smak

I'm thinking this is more republic or more recent the more I look at it. Never seen the bottom of a vase like that before, could this be due to its size?

peterp

I'm not sure...the decoration itself would fit to Qing, but as you said, the bottom is odd, actually both for Qing or early republic. The other thing is the mouth. It looks too pristine to be very old. Usually, after a considerable time there would be some blemishes, and the glaze is a bit too white for an earlier period.

smak

I agree,

The white is too perfect for its "age" and the bottom, I suspected that its due to its size at 28 inches, the normal bottom does not support the weight. But I could be wrong, I'll just assume this is a reproduction or something! Wanted to know your thoughts thats why I shared! An Odd piece indeed!

peterp

An unglazed flat bottom of the Qing dynasty would not have those odd lines in them, but just a fine sandy surface. The early republic might show threading of a cloth on which the bottom stood during production. But the decoration is nice.