Qing Brush pot with Mark

Started by smak, Mar 16, 2021, 11:35:40

Previous topic - Next topic

smak

Hi guys,

What do you guys think? When was this made? Is this an imperial piece?

H:2 2/8 in  W:4 1/8in.

smak

more

smak

more

Stan

I do not think this is Imperial, the shape is tapered unlike traditional brush pots that have straight up sides or slightly concaved and the inside looks to fresh with no ware to be seen, 20th century in my view.

peterp

Adding to what Stan mentioned, there is a sort of brush holder/container where the diameter may be equal or even greater than its height, but these have considerable height. I would say at least 20cm high. This means the shape is probably wrong.
The dragon is late Qing, but apart from the shape the mark is also suspect. I for one have never encountered a confirmed Xianfeng item. 20th century as Stan said is more likely.

(Here is some peripheral information:
Xianfeng reign items are few, imperial items even fewer, if any. In the short Xianfeng reign Jinngdezhen was the place of confrontations between the Taiping rebels and imperial troups, in the course of which the imperial kiln (and probably many others) were destroyed. It is thought that most items marked were made later.)

smak

Thanks Peter!

Great explanation on what was happening around Xianfeng's rein and the Taiping rebellion that was going on! It makes more sense to me now!

Thanks!!

smak

Thanks for your explanation as well Stan! Still learning more about non commoner porcelain. I do want to get in to imperial items but its a HUGE learning curve along with a ton of replicas/ reproductions!