Kangxi Jar?

Started by smak, Mar 24, 2021, 14:04:57

Previous topic - Next topic

JjGhandi

Hi Simon,

Faces look good for Kangxi to me.
The foot however seems very wide.
On Kangxi jars they narrow down on the foot, which is not the case for this jar it seems.

I would guess Kangxi Revival also based on the cobalt blue hue.
Although I'm no expert, just my two cents.

Kind regards,

JJ

JjGhandi

I've just seen some Kangxi ginger jars with the same wide base so it seems my info about the base is incorrect/insufficient.

Kind regards,

JJ

Stan

It does not seem to be the typical Kangxi 5 shades of blue and it looks like one side is blank pointing to late Qing but then the unglazed top would have been glazed, it could be Jiaqing, but im not sure if they used the double circle on the bottom, The faces are not the clear the dots for the eyes seem to be a little large and the bottom is not showing bubble burst, I think a hands on inspection is needed to check the density of the porcelain.
BTW, China dealers on e-bay is selling a bunch of these that look authentic, just a word to the wise.

peterp

Without a look at the inside it is difficult to tell, but my impression of the decoration is that it might possibly be not authentic. Not a Kangxi blue pigment.
I suspect this could be a mass produced imitation. I cannot see any decisive age or usage signs, especially at or inside the mouth. The inside may prove otherwise, but the mouth/interior should show some usage signs or production signs if from the Qing dynasty. Any seam showing it was made in two parts?
I agree with Stan, a double circle is unlikely in any late Qing reign apart from Guangxu, but the jar is unlikely of that period either. My personal view.

To Stan:
Not all ginger jars were glazed at the neck/shoulder in the Guangxu reign. Those that were glazed were mostly intended for export, and this decoration is not of that type.

smak

Stan

Thanks Peter, that is good to know "not all ginger jars were glazed around the neck/shoulder" now that you mention it, I have one that has the brown band on top shoulder and one at the bottom just above the foot. 19th century or early 20th.

peterp

Brown band?

The inside and top rim look to fresh, in my view. Any spots can be fake, but overall the interior glaze gives an impression as if it might be more recent, no seam inside visible and no usage signs on the mouth. Ginger jars were functional items not for decoration. It would have been difficult to them for looking this way, in my view. If that grayish look at bottom is caused by many tiny dark spots, then it could be artificial. Another thing is how similar are the colors to the actual item. Is the blue decoration really as bright as it appears in the last two pictures? If yes, then this color is probably not right for the Qing dynasty.

Stan

I agree, that was my impression when I first looked at it was new, I was referring to a jar I have, sorry for the confusion.