Kangxi deep plate

Started by JjGhandi, Mar 19, 2021, 06:27:08

Previous topic - Next topic

JjGhandi

Hi Peter, Stan, everyone,

I'm planning on purchasing this nice Kangxi dish.
I really like the landscape returning in the panels and also the panels' borders.

Could anyone aid me in the correct dating? Would this be early or late Kangxi?
I can't find a similar dish anywhere online.

Could this be considered a rarer piece? Or are there plenty alike made?
The central decoration would be rather common but I haven't seen the rim decorations before.
Also, what kind of flower is the mark?

Thanks in advance!

JJ

peterp

I'm not familiar with the flower mark, but the underside decoration and foot rim seem authentic. You should be able to find more information in the places that imported them, than anywhere else. Just make sure that there are age signs.

Stan

It is hard to tell from these pictures, esp. on the rim edge, it would be fairly thine and age signs, I agree with Peter, the flower mark dose not look like the ones I have seen before, it looks like someone did not know how to draw it and really struggled unsuccessfully, Is the seller selling this as an authentic Kangxi plate and is he willing to guarantee that it is authentic, if not and the price is cheap enough, it might outweigh the risk, if this was authentic, it would be early Kangxi  and rare in my opinion.

JjGhandi

Hey Stan, Peter,

I have found the mark once on an info section about marks on a Dutch commercial website.

It might be a 19th century copy although I doubt it.
The plate looks genuine to me, although I can't find this decoration of panels anywhere else.

I'll contact the website's owner to see what he says about the mark.

Kind regards,

JJ

JjGhandi

Herewith the mark I found.
Text that comes with it is:
"Symbol mark: Flower, the symbol for purity, in a double circle, underglaze blue,"

peterp

I know this mark just below, but not the other. My Chinese marks book contains several different flower marks. But I did not doubt that it is a variation of these. A lot of different pictorial marks were used, mainly in the Kangxi reign. (Not sure if this is true, but it is said that this was because the ruling class, the Manchus of that time could not read Chinese characters.)