Minyao bowls - Jiaqing mark?

Started by JjGhandi, Dec 30, 2020, 07:22:35

Previous topic - Next topic

JjGhandi

Hi everyone,

I just got these 2 bowls.
Is this a jiaqing mark on them?
Second mark is hard to see, sorry.

Is there any database, book,.. regarding these kind of seal marks?
I don't know of they're in Gerald Davison book too, he would make a new copy this year but it's not out yet. Old version can't be found anywhere in my region.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

JJ

JjGhandi

peterp

Not completely sure about the marks. The top one resembles a Jiaqing mark, but the lower one could be an auspicious character mark. This type of marks is not made with normal characters.

JjGhandi

Hey Peter,

Thanks!
The left below symbol I haven't seen before but the one above it could be a Jade mark?

Kind regards,

JJ

peterp

???  The character for jade is 玉 . Nothing complicated.

JjGhandi

I was talking about this mark

peterp

This likely is only part of a character. Without knowing the whole you can not know.

JjGhandi

Oh I thought these marks were always 4 characters and that they should be read like a zhuanshu matk.

peterp

Jiaqing marks are special. They added many marks that have written only "half" or partial characters. Unless you know what you are looking at it is often difficult to tell what it says; many Chinese cannot read them either. You come to know some of them at the beginning when the explanation says what it is, and you can recognize some part of it. That is valid for minyao porcelain only.
Official kiln marks are still the regular type.