Small Beaker vase

Started by Stan, Aug 27, 2020, 15:48:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, and all, I just picked this up recently, it is done in the Kangxi style, I was thinking maybe late Qing because of the bright blue cobalt, but then I do not think they had bottoms like this, Im not sure if the had bottoms like this in the Kangxi period either, so my question is this a fake, thanks for viewing.

Stan

Here are two more photo's to view.

peterp

Yes, either fake or just a modern item.
First, this is a variation of a Gu vase; these were originally bronze vessels used during the Shang dynasty or thereabouts.

The blue pigment is not any hue that I would recognize from antique Chinese porcelain. Might be used in Japan, though. And as you mentioned, the bottom does not look Chinese. Although some features might point to Kangxi, overall the painting style looks modern, I'm afraid.

Stan

Thanks Peter, lucky for me I did not pay much, I thought maybe Japanese but I never seen a bottom like this on Japanese either.

peterp

Did you note the concentric rings in the center of the bottom? That seems to point to the use of a metal wheel. The extremely deep spiral was possibly made to hide those traces.

Stan

Yes anything is possible these days, notice the potters wheel turns right, clock wise. I do not no if that applies to day.