chinese jar

Started by hn2503, Aug 19, 2020, 06:00:35

Previous topic - Next topic

hn2503

Hi all,

I am interested in the pair of jars. Just wonder if someone can offer opinion on the age of the vases. Do they look 20th, 19th or 18th century?

Also, there are two-circle marks (one is inner the other) at the base of each jar. Not sure what the double circle mean?

Many thanks
Long

hn2503

Some more images

hn2503

Some more images

hn2503

some more images

peterp

Qing dynasty. Probably either Kangxi or Guangxu reign. I will inspect the details more closely and report my findings back later.

peterp

The double ring is a mark from the early Qing dynasty, especially Kangxi reign. However, this mark was later also  much used during the Guangxu reign (1875-1908).
The Guangxu reign is also called 'Kangxi revival' period because many Kangxi porcelain decorations were copied then.
I do not know this decoration from the Kangxi reign, but it may have existed. However, this is likely Guangxu due to the color combination used, which was quite common during the Guangxu reign (including the blue background with white windows). Speaking for a Kangxi  origin would mainly be the two peonies, which show a typical Kangxi style shape, but this was copied in the Guangxu reign too. The foot rim and pitting of the base, however, are more typical for the later Qing dynasty. Especially the pitting in the bottom glaze is typical for the late Qing dynasty. So, Guangxu, in my view.

hn2503

Many thanks Peterp for getting back.

Your comments are very helpful in particular of the shape of the peonies. This is new to me. Indeed the shape of the flowers looked unusual to me at first sigh, but after your comments, I did further search about this Kangxi's style, and could see peonies of similar shape. So this is very  interesting indeed. I was also thinking that the jars were probably made in late 19th or early 20th century even though they have double circle at the base. I believe it is very rare to get a Kangxi vase.

Long

peterp

>>  it is very rare to get a Kangxi vase.

Indeed. And they are expensive, they often cost about three times what the same thing from the Guangxu reign would.