Martaban Jar fakes

Started by Stan, Aug 17, 2020, 01:35:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

I recently went to a preview at a local auction and they have a pair of Martaban jars, I hand inspected them and my over all impression was new, not that Im an expert on Martaban jars, that was just my gut feeling, I do have an authentic one though,  and it had similar embossed decorations, however the vases are smaller in size, afterwards I went to a local antique shop and they had one identical that was turned into a lamp, I think that justifies my earlier impression of age, be aware that everything is faked.

peterp

Stan, I assume what you are referring to is not a Burmese Martaban jar, because these probably are still being made today. It could also be that the Chinese ones are still being made. There are a few kilns that are still producing after more than half a millenium.
Simple but large storage jars are also still being manufactured here, in Taiwan, they are being used in the countryside, and some people use them as garden decorations, etc.

When you say fake I assume that there are signs that some age faking or copying is going on, not just outright new?
We do know nothing about them, really, but because the locations were they are made are remote, and people still retain some of the early lifestyles in those places, it may well be that those kilns are still making the same wares, if there is demand; they may not have other means to keep operating. But if other kilns make them, that is a different matter.

Stan

Hi Peter, the jars I am referring to are on page 51 Made in the province of Guangdong, the jars look nothing like the originals, the inside and the bottoms are completely different, not traditional, the one I have has a concave bottom these have a foot more like that on 60's items and the inside is glazed and they look new, no wear or age signs.

peterp

Stan, I do not have access to that book you are referring to. Mostly we can get only information relating to mainstream kilns or those local products (with a few exceptions). South China kilns are mostly outside the main kiln concept, except items that were made in Shiwan, Guangzhou kiln and a few others. There must have been dozens of kilns there.

Anything similar to one of these?
digital.ceramics.ntpc.gov.tw/digital/zh/Searcher/3_11476.htm

Stan

Hi Peter, I downloaded the book from the site you posted, I believe Guangdong is the same as Guangzhou in Shiwan kilns, I believe Canton is the same, on my world globe it shows as Canton, I had to search the internet to find where Guangdong is, I guess the name has changed to Guangzhou.

peterp

Sorry Stan, you have been more attentive of the details, it seems. What I learn about the southern kilns is only what comes from the connection to export porcelain and some mainly glazed earthenware made in the region (besides Shiwan). And yes, Canton is the old name for Guangzhou (city) and the capital of Guangdong province located just north of Hong Kong.  :)