Help identifying this mark!

Started by coldsun_zero, Jul 30, 2020, 00:56:45

Previous topic - Next topic

coldsun_zero

Hello everyone, im new in this forum but I see some people have an accurate knowledge about chinese marks! Im a peruvian archaeologists working on colonial dump contextos, and Ive found some wares than I cant identify. So I would be very thankfulled (?) to whom could help me!

peterp

This style of mark was predominantly used in the Qing dynasty, Jiaqing reign, but the mark characters were written only partially. Sometimes only half of a character was actually written, a pecliarity of that period. Theoretically, it could also be Daoguang (early), but not sure, and only if the mark is upside down, but even that is difficult to be sure of. These marks were not made fo reading, that is for sure. I cannot recognize the two Jiaqing characters at all, but the order of some strokes seem to indicate it could be Dao... if the mark in the picture is upside down. The part in the middle, lower half could be a Dao 道character, upside down, judging by the stroke order. Everything is just guessing from experience. Even a marks book published in China does not show this. Even my Chinese inhouse could not read this.

Better upload pictures of the items for identification. Many marks are apocryphal anyway. It should be Jiaqing/Daoguang period. If the porcelain is plain celadon then the likelihood that it is from  this period increases.

coldsun_zero

Many thanks! Could you tell me what book is that you alude?
Isn't a full ware, but a shred

peterp

See this page: https://www.chinese-antique-porcelain.com/antique-marks-book.html
(This page was put up about ten years ago.)

The one with the Chinese title is the one probably most used in Taiwan (and China) in the last decade, as far as I can see. Unfortunately, a year or two ago it was announced that it would not be re-published. Do not know if something better has come out, but could find none better at the time.
It is 100% in Chinese, only the dates are written in Arabic numerals instead of Chinese.

BTW,in the meantime I have seen a number of those marks used for Daoguang items. I'm now convinced that it is Daoguang, but the 'guang' character strokes are still too stylized to be recognized. If your item is a plain, light celadon color all over, or has a polychrome decoration on the top/inside (dishes/bowls) it is even more likely Daoguang period export ware.

coldsun_zero

Thanks for the link. Well, the shred it's in a dump context from XIX c., aprox. Gonna check the information you've send, and hope to find more info about it. Like that shred, wefound almlst everyday other chinese marks.
Again, Thanks!