Chinese plate

Started by MarkS, Jun 11, 2020, 07:51:27

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Hi,

Could you please tell me your opinion about this plate?
Some photos might have a bluish tint because my screen was not calibrated properly.

Regards,
Mark

peterp

Possibly Song or Jin dynasty judging by the base.  Qingbai ware.  If the glaze were white I would say Ding ware but not sure with the uneven unglazed area below the rim. If it was Ding it would likely not be from the main Ding kilnand the unglazed rim area has usually the same width all around the circumference.
This is excavated. May I ask if you got this already? If it is now in China and you want to export it, I would advise to forget about it. It is risky now...

MarkS

That's interesting, I did not know that this plate was excavated. I bought it in England this year.
Thank you very much for your help :)

MarkS

I uploaded a better photo without the tint, but the glaze however still does not look white to me.

peterp

'qingbai' is a whitish color with a celadon tint. It is clearly not of the white variation. Certain kilns of the Tang and Song dynasties produced white porcelain which would be called yellow or light gray nowadays, The Chinese still call those off-white variations today 'white' although they are not white in today's sense. The same is the case with other colors.

If you have it already out of China there is no problem. It seems to be prohibited now to even own excavated porcelain in China. I believe they confiscate such items if found.

The yellowish color of the unglazed areas points to ingrained soil. Most items of that period are excavated, although not all do show soil sediment; the likeliness of something that old being handed down until today is small.

peterp

You will not find a pure (snow) white glaze in all of Chinese porcelain before the 20th century. Such a white color is usually a sign that an item is more recent, that is a fake.

MarkS

So I better not move to China then... ;-) Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. That's very kind of you.