Vase with Daoguang mark - of the period?

Started by JjGhandi, May 05, 2020, 05:15:37

Previous topic - Next topic

JjGhandi

Hi Peter, Stan and everyone else!,

Would this vase with Daoguang mark be of the period?
I haven't seen this way of painting the symbols before.

Also, is an apogryphal Daoguang mark common?
Many of the apogryphal wares I see bare the Qianlong or Yongzheng mark.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

JJ

JjGhandi

Better pic of the vase

peterp

No marks are written with such characters.
You should upload an image of the bottom, showing the foot rim clearly and of the interior of the mouth.
The shape is of the 19th century, second or third quarter, but there is some repainting or over-painting present, it appears, judging by the people's eyes.
A few closeup pictures of parts of the decoration, and the faces might also help.

JjGhandi

Hi Peter,

Thanks a lot for your reply!
Due to the coronavirus and lockdown I can't receive a better photo, this vase is from someone's deceased relative.

Herewith a picture of the faces.
Also one from the other side.

Is this of any help?
What do you think?

Kind regards,

JJ

Stan

Hi JJ, A photo of the bottom would be nice, to me this looks like late 20th century, there are a lot of Famille rose coming from China with the dull gold, so be cautious also I have never seen this type with the birds around the wast/ neck usually they are dragons.

peterp

If you did not buy it yet, I would not... While the shape looks fine to me the decoration looks as if it was later repainted. Such items have little collecting value.
FYI, the bottom and mouth of period items are usually the most important for dating, but only for the body; the decoration is sometimes modified later, whereas the age of the porcelain body becomes irrelevant.