Chinese plate

Started by samborsu, Apr 09, 2020, 05:15:01

Previous topic - Next topic

samborsu

I need help. who can tell me the period of this blue and white deep plate

peterp

Looks as if it is mid-Qing dynasty, that is 18th century, possibly made at Dehua kiln. The latter is a guess because of its foot rim shape.

samborsu

Stan

I can't see the outside shape of the foot, it looks like it could be straight, if so it could be later, a photo of the outside rim at an angle so the shape is revealed would be appreciated.

samborsu

this is the foot rim

Stan

Thanks for the additional photo's, the foot is indeed straight but it looks like a bowl rather  than a plate, I believe some bowls of the period would have a straight foot, is that right Peter ?

peterp

Dehua kiln in Fujian province is different from Jingdezhen wares. The foot rim is more often than not low, thick, and rounded. That is not like the inclined bottoms or thin foot rims from Jingdezhen. This specific type of Chinese style (shaped) plate has usually a higher foot rim and an unglazed bottom.  This is not export.

This is a very typical shape of that period. Often there are birds in underglaze blue and red, or a dragon painted. Dehua is also known for its Blanc-de-Chine figurines. It is still active today.

(Here is the result of an image search in Chinese for the bird plates, which are more widely available than the horses, and you might have seen them. They are in the top two rows. Some of the other items are new, so please ignore the rest. Unfortunately no bottoms are shown.
tinyurl.com/s62ltbt)

Stan

Thank you Peter for taking the time to explain the differences from the Fujian and Jingdezhen provinces, that is good information, I assumed all kilns had the same guide lines to follow during mid Qing period, thanks again.

peterp

Something I forgot to mention, such large Dehua plates apart from the described foot rim often (but not always) also do have a lip (thickened top rim) on the outside. Only this specific type of plates does...

samborsu

Hi stan, for me it looked like a soup plate but now that you mention it it could be a bowl from the shape of the inside bottom.(more rounded than inclined)

samborsu

Peterp, I looked at the Chinese pictures and the shape is exactley the same as my ...  bowl, As you mentionned, this piece has a thickened top rim on the outside