Butter pot with cover

Started by JjGhandi, Apr 05, 2020, 21:28:38

Previous topic - Next topic

JjGhandi

Hello everyone,

What would the age of this butter pot with cover?
The base of the pot is fixed to the plate.

I haven't seen  a double foot rim (yet) on antique wares.
Is this possible or a dead giveaway?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

JJ

JjGhandi

JjGhandi

And te base

Stan

The bottom is lacking any evidence that it is from Kangxi period although they did have double foot rings, im thinking late Qing, could you post a close uppicture of their faces, thanks.

JjGhandi

Hey Stan,

Thanks for your reply!
I'm gettig the item through mail soon. As soon as I receive it I'll upload better pictures.

I'm thinking mid-late 19th century as well.

Would this be a rarer sort of item?
I don't come across these type of Chinese ceramics often.
Is it correct to assume that this is a butter pot/tray?

Thanks again,

JJ

Stan

Hi JJ, it doesn't look like anything I have seen before, that is why i did not comment, maybe someone could answer that better than me, I have had a lot of Canton blue but nothing to compare to.

peterp

I have a butter cup or pot here, but its principle is slightly different. The cup is high, the lid fits on its upper age but has an inner cup or holder, opening downwards, going all the way down to the bottom, with slits in the sides. It appears to be to keep butter fresh in an era when no refrigerators were known yet. The butter would have been inside the lid insert. The cup would have been filled with water when the lid insert was put on, the water would have completely closed off the butter from the air, bottom and sides.

The painting looks Chinese and is polychrome, but could be made in Europe. It (the shape) seems to be of French origin and invented in the 19th century, about third quarter.

Yes, this is not a Kangxi double rim. The double rims of that period usually appear on items with wide bottoms, the inner rim aiding to stabilize the bottom and prevent it from sagging, probably.
I'm very suspicious of the blue decoration. It looks somehow as if it was printed, in which case it is 20th century at the most. Please report back after you have received the item.

JjGhandi

Hi Peter, hi Stan,

I received the item today!
What do you think?

The tray is definetely painted but the cover I'm not sure about.

What are your opinions?

Thanks in advance!

JJ

JjGhandi

Another pic

peterp

JjGhandi

Yes it is.

Thanks a lot anyway!

Jj