Help with identifying beautiful large Chinese vase ?

Started by mason88888, Mar 09, 2020, 21:50:31

Previous topic - Next topic

mason88888

Hi,

Would really appreciate any help in identifying this beautiful large Chinese Vase.?

Is it of any age? and is it collectable ?

I've had it for years but never got it checked.

Has a few markings on the base.

Links to high quality images,

ibb.co/3mXyB82
ibb.co/jVxG2jc
ibb.co/QnDFXNb

Stan

This is Japanese, looks like a copy of Fukagawa Sei, 20th century in my view.

peterp

Definitely, shape and decoration look Japanese.

mason88888

Stan

Im not sure but it looks like Fukagawa Sei but the mark above is not right for Fukagawa, it would be a Mt Fuji or an Orchid leaf, I have never seen this mark before and the middle character Gawa is not like any I have seen in the past, Fukagawa is still being made today so it could be a modern mark.

mason88888

Thanks for your reply and information.

The only other name I have stumbled across is  Genroku would this be a possibility ?

Regards

Stan

What makes you think Genroku, it dose not look like it to me.

peterp

Mark characters:
There are four characters/symbols, but they are not easy to read due to the fancy writing often found in Japanese marks. The first might just be a kind of symbol. If it was a character it would have to be 人 which makes no sense in a name. The second might indeed be 深 as in Fuka(?), but not quite sure, the third character is not gawa 川 as in 深川, but 大 or 太, which does not add up to Fukagawa. The fourth character could be 製, meaning 'made', but again difficult to be sure due to the fancy writing. (Japanese marks frequently contain abbreviated characters with missing strokes, which makes it difficult to read them.)

mason88888

Thank you,  only reason i'm Confused is that I came across this vase which has exactly the same markings for  Genroku Tominaga?

Regards.

www.bonhams.com/auctions/25360/lot/35/

peterp

Thanks, on that vase the mark is clearly visible.  The first is just a symbol not a character. The actual mark indeed says 源六製 Genroku-sei (Made by Genroku). Thus it seems to be made by Tominaga Genroku.

peterp

A search on the Japanese language Internet resulted in information that this is a potter's mark.
This was the only English I found on the web:
Tominaga is the family name, Genroku is personal name. Apparently born in the late Edo period, activity is Meiji to Taisho era, ceramics potter who was related to Arita, it seems.
(Nothing to do with the better known Genroku era of Japan.)

The only English info I found on the Japanese Internet: 
research.britishmuseum.org/research/search_the_collection_database/term_details.aspx?bioId=193105

mason88888